Thursday, August 6, 2026

Sera gone thinkin: Xoco shootin’ Xoco, it ain't right.

Sera Noel 


Sera Noel is the Amazon River Sun’s new columnist, offering her unique insight on current events in the Amazon community. This column was edited for clarity and style, while maintaining the author’s voice.

 

By Sera Noel, Amazon River Sun columnist

The other day, I went over yonder to the Xoco camp. I’s bringin’ Mr. Shui some of my eggs from my new farm, you see. Why Mr. Shui, he done been so nice to me. I got sick twice, an’ he made me all better. Also, he whipped me up a batch of the vaccine so I don’t get sick no more.

Well, them Xocos, when I come by, they’s havin’ a trial. Seems one of them Xoco, she done shot another Xoco. It reminded me of that time my cousin Jeb shot my cousin Earl. They’s been fightin’ over who the best NASCAR racer is, and well, Jeb done had enough. He pulled out his gun (the one my uncle gave him when he was six) and up and shoots Earl right in the jaw.

Earl lived but after that, he done talk with a stutter. Family get-togethers got real awkward. Every Thanksgivin’, when they showed up at the house, we all had to keep an eye on them. Couldn’t leave ‘em alone for a minute, or they’s liable to up and start shootin’ each other again. 

We tol’ them they’s not allow to bring no gun to Thanksgivin’ dinner, but they’s said we’s takin’ they’s right to firearms away. Says so right there in the Constitution, which is like the Bible but for American. So we ain’t had no choice but just make sure neither one of them go drawin’ on the other.

Anyway, that why folk ought not go shootin’ each other, ‘specially if they’s family. My daddy always say, “You can pick yer beer, but you can’t pick yer kin.” He ain’t right ‘bout much, but he done got that much right. It done be bad enough folk shootin’ other folk, but when they’s family, it gonna make holidays real hard on everybody. If they’s your blood, you keep it holstered, I say.

I’s gonna pray for Jar and Silvia that they’s gonna do right by each other and let bygones be bygones.

No comments:

Post a Comment